COVID-19, Local Church Response
March 14, 2020
Subject: COVID-19, Local Church Response
Dear True Life Members and Guests;
Novel Coronavirus has become a global concern. As of March 11, 2020, the World Health Organization (WHO) has declared the virus a pandemic. This essentially means the virus has spread, and continues to spread, world-wide. With that said, there have been no confirmed cases in Newfoundland, and we are asking everyone to continue to work together, pray for our government leaders, healthcare officials, and frontline staff who will help to keep it that way.
Many are experiencing sickness, anxiety, and uncertainty to unimaginable levels during this time. We acknowledge this reality and want to you to know you can find peace and contentment. No, sickness and pain doesn’t always go away, but God’s peace is available to those who seek for it. You will be strangely content, even when everything around you points to worry. If nothing else, let’s pray this prayer of protection over our nation:
Dear Heavenly Father, we lift up the Coronavirus situation to You and pray for everyone affected. We thank You, Father, that You protect us and send Your angels to encamp around us. We thank You as You surround those who dwell in the secret place of the Most High and abide under the shadow of the Almighty. We say of You, Lord, that You are our refuge and fortress. In You we trust. You cover our nation under Your wings. Your truth shall be our shield. We shall not be afraid of the anxiety of the unknown, nor of the sickness around us. We have made You, our refuge and strength. Nothing can separate us from the love and hope that binds us together. For You will quiet our spirits and bring peace to those with anxious minds.You are with us when we are in trouble; deliver us and satisfy our minds with your Salvation. In Jesus’ name, Amen. (PASLM 91)
True Life Church has always existed to simply be a life-giving Church dedicated to reaching the unchurched, the uncommitted, and undecided and helping them become fully devoted followers of Christ. We normally do this by meeting each week and engaging in ministry together.
At this time, however, we recognize both the health concerns being addressed by our province’s Chief Medical Officer, and our duty to carry out our life-giving mission, and wish to modify our activity so that we can respect the concern and remain effective in our mission.
According to Health Canada, Coronavirus is ‘most commonly spread from an infected person through:
- Respiratory droplets generated when you cough or sneeze;
- Close, prolonged personal contact, such as touching or shaking hands;
- Touching something with the virus on it, then touching your mouth, nose, or eyes before washing your hands.’
We are committed to being a healthy, safe, and welcoming place, and therefore we are making the following temporary modifications to our regular ministry:
- All weekly ministry, Life Groups, and special events have been cancelled and/or postponed until further notice;
- Kids church during our Sunday Morning service will not be offered;
- All socials including food have been cancelled and/or postponed; and,
- Our 10am Sunday Morning Service will go ahead each week (until further notice), and it will be live-streamed on Facebook, for those who cannot attend.
If you are planning on joining us in person, for our Sunday Morning service, please note the following:
- Our services are typically under 250 in attendance and do not fall under the social gatherings policy encouraged by the government;
- Our First Impressions Team will not greet with a handshake, rather a good ol’ ‘smile and nod;
- Food and drink will not be served at our Café;
- We encourage you to wash your hands regularly and take advantage of Hand Sanitizer in our main areas;
- Social distancing is encouraged and extra space will be provided if necessary;
- If you are experiencing sickness of any kind, or have a weakened immune system, you should stay home and view the service online; and,
- If you have travelled out of province, you should stay home for the fourteen (14) day period and join us online.
Even if you do not have an account on Facebook, you are able to view the service by using this web address: https://facebook.com/TrueLifeChurchNL
If you do stay home and watch the service online, please feel free to engage in the comments and actively worship with us. We will have someone keeping an eye out for comments and prayer requests as the service progresses.
At True Life, we are open Sunday Morning to continue to spread the good news of peace, love and eternal life, and we thank you for your continued understanding and corporation. As Dr. Bruce Aylward (Appointed Leader of the World Health Organization’s medial efforts to contain the virus) has stated, ‘There’s no reason to panic about this disease, but you have to be deeply concerned.’ We can all do our part, support those around us, and extend grace, love, and hope to those experiencing anxiety, sickness, and uncertainty during this time.
For the Kingdom,
True Life Church
For further updates, please avoid ‘fake news,’ and follow regular updates on Health Canada’s website:
Please share on Social Media: